Researchers at UBDC have moved rapidly to develop a new programme of work, driven both by their knowledge of data availability and by discussions with civic partners about knowledge gaps or analytical requirements.
We will be conducting regular analyses of data flows to monitor a range of activities in cities and you can keep up to date with our latest outputs using the links below.
- Blog: Creating open data counts of pedestrians and vehicles using CCTV cameras
- Blog: Assessing the impact of COVID-19 on UBDC’s data services
- Blog: Analysing the effects of COVID-19 Governmental responses on mobility in major European countries
- Blog: On the road again? Monitoring traffic following the easing of lockdown restrictions
- Blog: Reviewing Airbnb – using a different metric to measure short-term let activity during lockdown
- Blog: Personal space exploration – pavement widths and walking space for social distancing
- Blog: A turning point for cycling: improving the safety of temporary infrastructure
- Blog: New ways of engaging during lockdown: turning to the digital at different costs
- Blog: Apples and pears? Comparing Google and Apple mobility data
- Blog: Active travel during a pandemic
- Blog: Understanding the impacts of COVID-19 on the Glasgow City Region economy – gauging impacts through big data?
- Blog: An infrastructure emergency: implementing temporary cycle facilities during lockdown
- Blog: Tracking lockdown, supporting recovery: the potential and the pitfalls of big data
- Blog: Governing the COVID-19 pandemic in the ‘smart city’
- Blog: Using crowdsourced data to monitor trends in cycling during the lockdown
- Blog: Estimating the cost of COVID-19 related cancellations to Airbnb and their hosts in Edinburgh
- Blog: Unleashing the ‘new normal’ in Scottish schools
- Blog: Impacts of COVID-19 on the Airbnb Market in Edinburgh
- Blog: The effects of the lockdown on traffic in Glasgow
- Blog: Using spare CCTV capacity to monitor activity levels during the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Blog: Monitoring air pollution under lockdown
- Blog: Glasgow’s Subway during the lockdown
- Blog: How are people using hired bikes during lockdown?
In the press
- SQA was warned about impact on disadvantaged students, by Barry Black (Tes.com)
- UBDC researchers comment on the 'new normal' for transport post-lockdown (The National)
- Scottish pupils risk being punished for schools’ past failures, says Barry Black (The Scotsman)
- Responsible innovation needed during pandemic, says Professor Simon Joss (The Globe and Mail)